In my previous post, I shared the spheres of job satisfaction, the above are, in priority order, what makes a job engaging.
For employees to be happy and engaged, there are “spheres” of job satisfaction. Free beer doesn’t matter if your work is mundane and your manager’s a moron. When addressing engagement, start from the inside and work outward
At Intertech, we’ve just completed our annual planning to set our strategies, goals, and projects for the coming year. All planning participants complete an exhaustive survey in advance. Employees not participating in the retreat take part in a half-day working session we call a town hall. They share ideas and provide feedback in a confidential format. We use all this information in a SWOT analysis, which is reviewed, analyzed, and defines next year’s plan. Here’s the SWOT template we use at our retreat.
Here are the top posts and briefs from 2020. My thanks to all of you for your feedback and insights:
- The downloads page for my book was the top accessed page for 2020. It has over two dozen guides, templates, and references. Join the 1,000’s who’ve leveraged these downloads to improve their business, team, and life
- If you’re looking at your New Year’s resolutions, this post shares that action is better than perfection
- In thinking through new goals or resolutions, we all have regrets. Here are five to let go and let live as we enter 2021.
- Want to create a purpose-driven organization? Here are eight steps based on a Harvard Business Review article
- If you’re an executive and want to understand AI and ML, start with this guide.
- If you’re responsible for delivering software, this brief covers the pillars of software development success.
- Finding and retaining talent is key in any market, this whitepaper outlines the blocking and tackling of finding and keeping talent
- Software estimation is hard. Use this brief to help avoid common pitfalls
- Agile, Scrum, and other terms get thrown around a lot. Use this executive insight to get the lowdown
- While it may seem self-serving, this brief breaks down, for any relationship with a consulting company, what it takes to make things work
- Accessibility must be a consideration for any software product. Written by my colleagues, this whitepaper outlines what is required to make software accessible for all
With firms planning out 2021, here’s a reminder that for strategies to be meaningful, you must align everything in your organization to match the strategy. McKinsey & Company consultants Tom Peters and Robert Waterman created a useful alignment tool known as the 7-S Model.
It recommends that structure, systems, skills, shared values, staff, and leadership style all be in alignment in support of the strategy.
Here’s a summary of the 7-S Model, an example, and a template for your own 7s model