Executive Brief: A CIO’s Guide to Avoiding Cost Estimation Errors in Software Development
Over the past few months, I’ve spoken with many C-level executives about the high level, strategic challenges they’re facing when it comes to building software. Through these conversations, common themes emerged. To help with these challenges, I’m excited to introduce Intertech Executive Briefs.
Based on 25+ years of building enterprise software for our clients, each Intertech Executive Brief outlines the challenge along with recommendations and insights for the busy executive.
CIO’s Guide to Avoiding Cost Estimation Errors
In the inaugural issue, the Software Development Cost Estimation Executive Brief, shares commonly overlooked costs when building enterprise software applications along with practical insights to make sure every project has an accurate budget.
Key factors include:
- Hidden project infrastructure costs
- Costs related to staff turnover and the need for new skills
- Expenses due to project dependencies and communication
- Underestimating costs by assuming who is doing what
- The Triangle, Choose Your Two: Speed, Cost, Quality (SCQ)