6 New(er) Drivers of Growth
There was an interesting article on Inc.com titled “Up Next: The Greatest Era of Entrepreneurship and Small Business The World Has Ever Seen“. It points out six trends that will drive growth and entrepreneurship:
- Micro-entrepreneurs. If you’ve sold on eBay, Craigslist, or Etsy, used Uber or Airbnb, or used a service like TaskRabbit, you’ve experienced micro-entrepreneurship. Some estimates state there are as many as 15 million micro-entrepreneurs
- 3D printing: 3D printing redefines what it means to be a manufacturer. The article shares the story of a teen who made a prosthetic arm for a few hundred dollars (vs. $50K)
- Crowdfunding. To date sites like Kickstarter, have raised $3,000,000,000+. With crowd funding, capital is available to all.
- Free failure: Between micro-entrepreneurship platforms, crowd funding, and free or inexpensive hosting and cloud-based platforms, the cost to try is almost zero.
- Boomers: By 2030, there will be 70M people over 65 and a lot of them will keep working.
- Internet for all: Today, 2B have access. In 10 years, most of the world will have access. That’s 5B more connected customers and companies.